Friday, September 25, 2020

Ponderings about while getting old....


I sat down last night for a webinar concerning Social Security.....Social Security!  Isn't that what old people get?   Then it hit me...I am no longer 24...I am on the high side of 57 and not slowing down.  I am "becoming" one of those folks I have always said "Yes Sir" to when talking.  

I am becoming the "Sir".  That is a lot to think about once you realize it.  


My wife constantly asks me "How old are you?"  My stock answer is "12, because the same things I found funny at 12 I still find hilarious."  For the life of me I still think of myself as 24 years old...        until I look in the mirror.


Because, and I will be honest with you, this is what I see in the mirror in the morning when I am getting ready for work.  Then the vision shifts to "reality" and I see me now.  



And the words of the Dalai Lama haunt me.  
That eternal question.....have I "lived" the best life I could or can?   
I served with Honor in the United States Marine Corps for 21 years.  
I have been married for 23 years and have two beautiful, smart, and talented children (mothers influence obviously).  
I have provided for my family in the best way that I could.  

Have I driven a car 200 mph at Bonneville?  No.  
Have I hiked the Appalachian Trail?  No.  
Have I traveled the United States as a vagabond with no schedule or destination?  No.
Are those dreams?  Yes.
Are they the keys to "success" in life?  No.  

Have I "lived"?  I would like to think the answer is yes.


 

2 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Thank you for your service to our country. We hold dear our freedoms and you have helped maintain that. Thank you , sir.

HMS Defiant said...

I would vote lived a life in full measure and well.

But, did you cruise up and down the coast of California in a 77 VW Bus? You haven't lived if you didn't do that for years and years.

I jest.