Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Lets start the tale of two vessels...the CF20 and the John F Kennedy Staten Island Ferry. The CF20 is an Army powered causeway ferry. It is used in a JLOTS operations and is very good at what it does. However....working on this little piece of c#$p is painful. It is very small, it is like painting 9 boats vice 1, the engine rooms are filled with hidden corners are very difficult to reach areas to attempt painting. And due to the difficulty in painting this little POS, I am 5 weeks behind on the project. So much for making a spectacular entrance into my new position! The second vessel is the John F Kennedy, one of the storied Staten Island Ferries. When I had my interview to get this position, I told them I thought it was really cool they were working on these ferries. It was "commissioned" in 1965 and I swear, EVERYTHING is hazardous on this beast! It has lead in the paint, asbestos throughout, I was joking the other day that all it needs is PCB's to make it perfect! However, we have a great paint contractor working this vessel, and it seems, for the time being, I have a good working relationship with the NYCDOT folks. So far so good. After 5 1/2 years working for the "other" shipyard on the same class vessel that I retired from, it is nice to be working on such varied vessels.

No comments: